Resonanz Opera 2018 High School Internship Program
The Program Goals
The High School Internship Program is a musical program for younger students who enjoy any type of music style, not only opera. The program is now open to all High School Students in Lake, Geauga, Ashtabula, Cuyahoga, and surrounding counties. Talented students will have the opportunity to be a part of a professional opera production while studying and performing next to the emerging professionals of the Singing Artists program and established national and international opera singers.
The Resonanz Opera High School Internship Program is expanding in 2018, adding many new exciting vocal development activities for our high school interns. The overall program size itself has also been greatly extended in 2018. The program has now tripled into three sessions, with each session now being increased to three full weeks long. By design the High School Internship Program also operates at the same time as the Singing Artists Program. This offers high school students a similar opportunity as Singing Artists to study under master instructors in addition to being able to perform with the mainstage artists and themselves.
The program was created to introduce high school students interested in singing to formal vocal study while also getting direct exposure to the worlds of the emerging opera vocalist and the established professional. This is a specialized program modeled after the Resonanz Opera Singing Artist Program but specifically tailored to the development level of the younger vocal student. Interns are cast in smaller roles of an opera production where they gain crucial, real-world experience.
The ONLY requirements are
to have a good voice
and a willingness to work hard.
- No opera experience is necessary -
The 2018 High School Internship Program has added several new and exciting vocal study activities to the program syllabus this year. The planned program of activities includes the following vocal development opportunities:
• Sing with national professional opera singers
• Participate in a recital
• Learn an operatic song (aria)
• Watch professional opera production rehearsals
• Create scenes from Broadway musicals and operas for 2 and 3 people
• Work on costumes and with stage crew to produce the opera
• Participate in a vocal instruction "masterclass" led by Resonanz Opera's Artistic Director, Master Instructor Heidi Skok
• Interns are cast in small roles of Singing Artists Program opera productions in Sessions II & III
• Perform at the City of Mentor Civic Amphitheater in Mentor, Ohio
• Vocal instruction by veteran Master Instructors
• Receive role coaching for the program's opera production
• Receive daily yoga class instruction to encourage a healthy "Mind-Body-Voice Connection" that Resonanz Opera promotes
• Take part in character building, self-confidence, and self-esteem exercises
• Learn nutritional information important to singers
We will also take a field trip to Oberlin College Conservatory to see an opera.
Resonanz Opera Remembers High School. This Internship Program is definitely not High School.
So... just what kind of program is this internship?
And what kind of vocal study environment will interns find?
• Expect to sing freely and openly, without any possibility of criticism from their peers
• Interns support each other's vocal development and performance
• Our program brings young people together as a group who have the common interest of singing
• The High School Internship Program is non-competitive in nature between program participants
Resonanz Opera wants our internship candidates to know that they will find that everyone who is here at Resonanz Opera is here because we hold principles of kindness, consideration, tolerance, and non-judgemental respect for others.
Program Session Dates
This session not available to High School Internship
July 2 - July 22
August 6 - August 26
Session I May 26 – June 15
• The High School Internship Program is not held during the First Session
Session II July 2 – July 22
• The Resonanz Opera High School Internship Program will be learning music from the opera Suor Angelica.
Session III August 6 – August 26
• The Resonanz Opera High School Internship Program will be involved in the operas The Magic Flute and Dead Man Walking.
For information about available positions in the 2018 High School Internship Programs, send inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
The tuition fee for enrollment in the High School Internship program is $500.00 per session.
Sponsorship Letters are available upon request.